Industry: Fuel Distribution
Reporting to: Operations Director
Located: Inverness, Scotland
Distribution Planner Job Details
Industry: Fuel Distribution
The role of the Distribution Planner is to support with the optimisation of the Company’s supply and road distribution operations to a range of customer segments throughout Scotland.
Candidates for this role must enjoy being in the detail, provide prompt and strategic solutions, adapt to sudden changes, manage complex data challenges through the development of economic models and ensures that our products are delivered safely, cost-effectively and on time.
A key requirement will be the development of data solutions and output analysis to underpin and drive operational delivery against the goal of ‘lowest cost to serve’. A positive mindset is a must as well as possessing strong commercial and systems understanding to support the continued development of one of Scotland’s leading fuel distribution businesses.
- Ensure precise and efficient fuel distribution planning whilst also achieving ‘lowest cost to serve’.
- Production, analysis and reporting of distribution planning indicators, as well as other relevant Key Performance Indicators to support ‘lowest cost to serve’ objectives.
- Perform necessary control mechanisms (daily, weekly & monthly) to ensure quantity and quality within supply chain (from oil terminals to end-consumers)
- Ensure close relations with suppliers and customers and ensuring HSE policies are followed.
- Secure and manage product supply and purchasing opportunities within the marketplace and ensure execution by both internal & external hauliers are in line with corresponding purchase contracts (spot or term supply).
- Maintain close relations with external product suppliers to gain understanding of products, pricing options and services.
- Engage in cooperation with sales to ensure high standard customer service. Act proactively in search for opportunities and how to improve for the future.
- Show immediate reaction and suggest solutions to customer complaints
- Provide day to day work and direction to internal and external carriers and ensuring compliance with company operating procedures including the provision of the daily delivery plan, co-ordination of amendments to lifting instructions, control of inventory levels (at stock managed sites) and purchasing optimisation (i.e. ‘lowest cost to serve’)
- Monitor customer inventories at stock managed sites to support with achieving delivery efficiencies and prevention of stock outs
- Provides out of hours coverage for emergencies and as required by the Operations Director.
- Works as liaison between Depots, Sales and Finance Teams to resolve any queries or issues.
- Implement logistic strategies together with guidance from the Operations Director and ensure achievement of plans and targets.
Skills & Competencies
- 3 to 5-year experience working in a road distribution environment (petroleum distribution experience would be ideal although not essential).
- Understanding of dangerous goods transportation and relevant legislation.
- Experience in using ERP’s and especially the extraction and manipulation of data to support with construction of economic models.
- Intermediate (min) level in Excel and good knowledge of wider Microsoft Office suite.
- Ability to problem solve, identify and implement business improvement initiatives.
- Team player that will need to interact with a diverse range of stakeholders.
- Ability to set goals that are realistic and achievable in order to deliver business improvement.
- Confident communicator and the ability to represent the company externally.
- Can handle multiple demands from a variety of sources at the same time without getting flustered.
- Driving license.